Saturday, September 3, 2011

Time marching on

I wish I had more time to write. Time just slips so quickly. My life recently has been one big swirl of this, that and the other thing. A friend today said she thinks I'm under a spiritual attack, and I am inclined to think she's right. In all actuality I've been expecting the attack. I know better than to think I'd rev up my spiritual walk and not have satan try and throw me down. He doesn't depend on me standing upright and ready to bash him with my Bible. So, satan take this: In this world you will have trouble, but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. John 16:33 HA! Just try to get through that one stupid beelzebub! Much to pray over, much to pray about. Keep that in mind for me when you pray, ok? Here's an update about my mom. Everyone knows about the broken leg/shock trauma, etc...so, lets start with her transferral from shock trauma to Lorien Rehabilitation Center in Columbia. We checked this place out....it looked good. The county reports looked good. However, I didn't see state reports, not good. I find that deceitful on their behalf. Anyway, mom was admitted there on a Friday afternoon. It took the staff forever to simply bring her ice water. The in-room write on board was dated a week prior, and have the information was wiped off. hmmm.....the curtain hung to separate her from her neighbor was falling down. Mark rehung it correctly. Dad had asked about having her TV turned to where she could watch it comfortably. No one came to check on her after being there for our hours. She didn't have a meal ordered, so they didn't feed her. It took from 4:45 to almost 8:30 for them to finally bring her water....then we asked about moving her bed, the nurse told us to do it.....well oooooooook then, don't let us disturb you guys. No sirree, we don't want to bother you. We were leaving for the beach in two days, and I didn't want to alarm my sister, but, I told her to watch the staff there carefully. So...while on vacation, that Monday....a whole 24 hours after being there, Tam calls to let me know mom is back in the hospital with pneumonia. I immediately begun to search and discovered that more than likely this bout of pneumonia was caused by her not being moved. Sure enough, they had never moved her from the bed to a chair since Friday. So of course she had pneumonia settle in her lungs! I'm still mulling this one over before I write Lorien and anyone else I need to about this place. Just terrible treatment. Ok, my father had her moved to Crofton Rehabilitation Center, and what a difference! Great staff, and the care I believe is very good. I honestly believe that the staff there actually care about their patients. I find this to be a rarity in this field of health care for elderly and, frankly for disabled people as well. It is one of our nations greatest tragedy's. So, I have noticed since my mother has been released from Shock Trauma, she hasn't been "all there" in my opinion. She's not sharp as she should be. I could understand it if she was in pain, but that's not the case.....this past week she has referred to me as "Sandy" ( who in the hell is Sandy?????) she has talked about the boy with the jar of bubbles. She's stated people have visited her who we know were not there, and have thought people who were there were someone else. She just has seemed disconnected. But then, on a dime, would snap back to reality. I mentioned it to several family members, and no one else saw it until Thursday. Tam called me to get down there, asap. I walked in the room she was flailing her legs....with the tri-brace, rods and screws!!!!!!! she was reaching for things that weren't there, laughing and talking with people that we didn't see in the room. She was just out there! My aunt Irene said she noticed it earlier in the day and that I had mentioned I felt something wasn't quite right. Dad didn't seem to think it was so bad, and mentioned "she's been like this at home" Great dad, thanks for telling us. ( this aging parent thing is not at all fun) After watching her for a while, I went and got the nurse to come see. The nurse asks mom where she was, who she was, who we were, and, naturally my mother snapped out of it, answered everything correctly, and let us looking like crazy people. Soon, she started again, we called the nurse back, this time, the nurse stood back, and watched....my mother was in complete delirium at this point. She was shaking, flailing her legs and arms. That was enough. I said, call the Dr please. He ordered for her to be transported to the hospital. Skip, skip, turn the page to today. My brother flew in from Florida, and my sister and I were destroying our sanity cleaning my mothers kitchens cabinets, which I can assure you that there will be another blog on that alone! I walk toward my mother's hospital room and my sister says, get ready, you aren't even going to believe this. SHE'S FINE. Not that I wish my mother to be ill, but what the heck?! I walk in and my brother is looking at me like I'm a nut. I turned and said to my mother, "welcome back" My mother had no memory of this past week at all, from about the time hurricane Irene was kicking up. I haven't been given the official low down, but it appears to be that her oxygen levels allow for carbon dioxide to build in her body. Her body can't make new blood cells when this happens, so the oxygen I guess almost is cunter productive at that time....causing her brain to not function correctly which is what we saw. So how does this get fixed? I don't know as of yet. I have to tap the ears of my nurse friends and hopefully Dad will see to it she gets a pulmonary Dr! And yes, I cannot believe she hasn't had one, I mean, hello, she's a copd patient!!!!! *sigh* It's late, I have a busy Sunday and I did want to give those of you praying an update on my mom. Keep on praying! monica

No comments:

Post a Comment